Saturday 21 January 2017

Unakka kappa vevichathu/ dried tapicoca with out coconut

Tapioca is one of the widely consumed root vegetables in Kerala. During its season, weekly at least once my mom used to prepare different dishes with it. I love all the recipes of it, as I am a die hard fan of tapioca 😃. Whenever we get together at my grandmom's house, kappa vevichathu/  cooked tapioca and different verities of fish curries are the main highlights of our feast. 


My mom and aunts used to preserve it in large quantity for later use. So whenever I go to Kerala, I used to take one packet of dried tapioca with me. Tapioca with coconut mixture is a commonly cooked dish but here I am sharing a very simple unakka kappa vevichathu/ cooked tapioca recipe with you. I have used only red chili powder, turmeric and salt to make this mouth watering dish. 

Check out the method of cooking this recipe at your home

Ingredients
  1. Dried tapioca - 3-4 cups
  2. Red chilli powder -  1-2 tablespoon
  3. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tablespoon
  4. Coconut oil- 1 tablespoon (optional)
  5. Curry leaves - 1 spring
  6. Salt to taste 
  7. Water to cook
Instructions
  • Soak tapioca overnight or at least 6-7 hours. Drain and keep it aside.
  • Cook the tapioca pieces in a pressure cooker with enough water. 2-3 whistles are enough to cook it. When the pressure releases from the pressure cooker, drain the excess water and keep it aside.
  • Into this add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to it.


  • Mix everything together and add curry leaves. Check salt and spice and adjust it accordingly. Finally, pour the coconut oil on top of it.


  • Lip smacking kappa vevichathu is ready to serve. Enjoy it with your favorite fish curry.



Note
You can tamper spices on this dish with oil, mustard seeds, and red chilies.


No comments:

Post a Comment